Re: Transistor count

Ruth,

I am specifically pushing back against the assumptions you are making, e.g. "high quality tools and libraries". I wish I could lay my hands on the "simple" diagram showing the structure of ARM Android; over Linux, with special hardware layer, with an OS-layer-over-Linux that made big use of remote procedure calls under some special name, with layers of object oriented stuff, about 20 in all; it makes my head spin and I rebel against it because this complexity is not necessary. The Transputer was, by your definition, a hobby project, but it did not disappear quickly despite the lack of "high quality" (fantastically complex) tools and libraries. It had simple tools and libraries that enabled you to do EVERYTHING in computing (including an autonomous automobile on the Autobahn in 1993). This approach can be used again; it is valid independently of scale.

Larry