Re: Transistor count

The good ideas are coming hard and fast . . . Thank you, Ruth! Notes below.

On Nov 23, 2020, at 3:35 PM, Ruth Ivimey-Cook <ruth@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I've been following this discussion with great interest.

On 23/11/2020 21:43, Roger Shepherd wrote:

I think we can get smart here by giving some ground on "locally". Remember, in CSP any number of processes can share READ-ONLY memory, so you can have a sequence of "loading state" and "running state" (like the Transputer worm), and during running state a big block of read-only memory with the code is shared by, say, 100 nodes (each running the same, or almost the same, program). This requires a bit of design attention, because computer science says "any number read in parallel" but in the real world some sequences are involved.

Don’t believe this would work for independent processors. If they operate in a SIMD-like manner then may be - but you carry the problem every processor displaying worst case behaviour. You can’t share memory - that’s why processors are typically tightly coupled to their I-caches.

I agree that memory needs to be very local, or the processor will be starved of work. The harder problem is how much memory needs to be local. Modern highly parallel processors are showing some interesting trends. Have a look, for example, at the latest NVidia GPU architecture -- it is definitely worth study. A bank of 256KB memory is supplied which can be partitioned between two purposes - either as local cache or as local storage. The local storage option then partakes of a global memory address map, where access to non-local addresses uses a comms architecture (not a shared bus). The amount of cache vs storage is configurable at run-time.

Another aspect of NVidia's design and more recent AMD designs is of course the concept of core clusters, in which a group of 4-16 cores share some resources. In an ideal world this would not be necessary but physics tends to demand this sort of outcome, and it is probably worth investigating for more general purpose solutions.

Studying GPU (and AI) architecture is certainly a great idea. Some people clearly know a lot more about it than I do ;-) But one thing I believe always needs to be done in parallel - track certain use cases, and keep lots of envelopes around to scribble on the back of, because the use cases are going to have different proportions that get more and more different as parallelism increases.

Use cases would be at the center because there would be a manufacturing process that cheaply varies parameters to create a chip optimized for any given use case.

You’ll also need more communication capability to deal with the number of processors. It’s absolutely the case that the transputer processor is underpowered by today’s standards - I don’t know how by much.

I wonder if this is true - if you analyze it in time units of clock cycles per single core. I don't think it is true, if you analyze it in clock cycles per million transistors.

What are you trying to do? If you are trying to get 2 processors to solve a problem faster than 1 as a reasonable  cost - then you need to be using your resources quite well - one limited resource is RAM - you probably need to work it hard. 32-cycles for a 32-bit multiply doesn’t cut it against a 1-multiply per cycle processor. The thing is, the cost of certain useful functions (multiplication) are pretty cheap compared with the cost of a processor; not being reasonably competitive on performance means you need too many processors to solve the problem.  Now exactly how much processing you need to get a balanced system I do not know - but faster processors mean less of them, means less communication infrastructure, less total RAM

One thing I have been contemplating for some time is what it would take to make a modern transputer. I feel the critical element of a design is provision of channel/link hardware that has minimal setup time and DMA driven access. I feel reducing latency, especially setup time, requires a coprocessor-like interface to the cpu, so that a single processor instruction can initiate comms. If hardware access were required over PCIe, for example, it would take hundreds of processor cycles. Pushing that work into a coprocessor enables the main cpu to get on with other things, and maximises the chance that the comms will happen as fast as possible.

The other side of the coin would be that if the link engine(s) were essentially all wormhole routers, as for the C104 router chips, complete with packet addressing. Thus the link coprocessor would essentially become some number of interfaces directly to the CPU plus some number of interfaces to the external world, with a crossbar in the middle. This would massively increase the communications effectiveness of the design, and while taking up much more silicon area, I believe it would be an overall benefit for any non-trivial system. One net result is the elimination of the massive amount of 'receive and pass on' routing code that used to be needed with a directly connected link design.

An excellent point. But we need to remain use-case-sensitive. Some physics is so simple that perhaps the main effort and its communications would be so standard that little such direction mapping code would be needed - and then the overhead of the wormhole stuff could be a negative.

Different kinds of links/channels can branch out in even more directions that have never been explored, like hybrid between soft and hard (NUMA). Anything that acts like a channel may be our friend.

The final element of the mix would be to engineer the system such that software virtualisation of links was standard -- as was true on the transputer -- so code could think just about performing communication, not about which physical layer was involved, and also a way for the link engine to raise an exception (e.g. sw interrupt) to the processor if it cannot complete the communication 'instantly', thus potentially requiring a thread to suspend or be released.

I don't know, but from what I have seen so far I don't think it is worth the complexity and constraint of putting supprot for interleaved threads into the processor hardware, as the Ts did, but do feel it is valuable for the hardware to provide appropriate hooks for a light threaded kernel to do the job efficiently.

I am not following you here. Where did this weigh heavily? It never seemed much of a burden to me - much less than the burden of supporting a kernel. Basically it's interrupts (done way more cleanly than other processors), a few words of process support, and rare, simply implemented time-slicing. You cannot escape interrupts, and any kernel I ever heard of is far more onerous than this (and has horrible effects on the code design, by separating kernel from user code). What burdened the Transputer was the standard correctness checks, but if you want correct code . . . And even those could be streamlined.

So, to be clear, my ideal 'modern transputer' would be:

 - something similar to an ARM M4 CPU core at something like 500MHz with its own L1 I and D cache, e.g. 8KB each;

 - at least 256KB SRAM, partitionable into (shared I/D-cache) or local storage (and clusterable);

 - a comms coprocessor capable of single CPU cycle comms setup, and autonomous link operation for non-local packets, and fitted with at least 4 external links and at least two direct to CPU links.

    I would want to research further whether a fixed grid connection of these was adequate, or whether a more advanced option (that enabled some communications to travel further in one hop) was better. Similarly, selecting the most effective number of CPU links would need investigation (this number defines the max true parallelism of link comms to/from the processor).

Also:

 - a core cluster approach to memory that enables sharing 4 CPUs storage memory (i.e. up to ~960KB directly addressable local RAM);

 - an external memory interface permitting all core clusters to access an amount of off-chip memory at some (presumably slow) speed, all clusters seeing the memory at the same addresses;

I would hope to get 64 cores on a chip as 16 clusters, though that's probably impossible for current FPGA density because of the RAM...?

Ruth's proposals seem to be focused on a different set of use cases than mine, so there is room in the universe for both of us ;-) GPUs show there is room on my side, and I have a notion that study of use cases will show there is lots of room out in embedded-style hundred-thousand-core-land.

Larry

Regards

Ruth

--