Re: Transistor count

Larry

> On 24 Nov 2020, at 16:56, Larry Dickson <tjoccam@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> ======
> I also think the 4 links is not enough.  6 should be a minimum for 3D simulations and 10-20 would be better more up to date unstructured problems.
> ======
>
> I did some work in 1996 on classic Transputers, using Forrest Crowell and Neal Elzenga's published measurements, that indicated you could go to 8 links full speed both ways and still be running CPU calculations at 48% efficiency between the DMA cycle stealing (see my Nov 19 9:55 AM PST message on this thread). That does not get you to 20, but hardware can be redesigned if link count increase is needed, e.g. by using 16 or 32 byte "words" in your DMA. By the way, you can get away with 4 in 3D if you have to (five tetrahedra make a cube), but it is clumsy.

You need high fanout (high-valence) for achieving general purpose connectivity. But you don’t need high valance to handle the bandwidth from a single processing engine. That’s (one reason) why the second generation transputer architecture split compute nodes and communication nodes.

You WILL run into problems with any system with limited connectivity - it doesn’t scale to large problems.

Roger