Re: Programming prioritisation

Guilty! I said that some good few years ago - although as is the way with such things I expect others have said it as well.

I'll make a similar remark with regard to PRI PAR ...

It seems to me that we're discussing the wrong thing - PRI PAR is an instruction as to how something is to be implemented and is not the real issue.

I suggest that we should be asking how we capture requirement constraints of the form: "when 'this' happens, do 'that' within some time".

Given these constraints we should be able to build a tool to find a solution (or check that our proposed solution will work) ... if we want a hundred counters to respond in 1ns we'll probably need logic gates, a bit slower and lots of processors will do it, slower still and a single processor is OK. An implementation could allow sharing of hardware and if some things need quicker attention than others we may use priority/pre-emption/etc. to meet the constraints in a cost/power efficient way.

    Barry.

Dr Barry M Cook

CTO

4Links Limited, Suite EU2, Bletchley Park, Sherwood Drive, Milton Keynes, MK3 6EB

Tel: +44 1908 642001 Fax: +44 1908 363463 E-mail: Barry@xxxxxxxxxxxx Web: www.4links.co.uk

4Links Limited is a company registered in England and Wales at the address above I Company number 3938960 I VAT GB 609 5299 14

This e-mail and any attachments are for the intended addressee(s) only and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. If you are not a named addressee, do not use, retain or disclose such information. This e-mail is not guaranteed to be free from viruses and does not bind 4Links Limited in any contract or obligation.

Consider the environment - do you really need to print this e-mail?