Re: protocol standards that use formal specification of behavior?

Hi Alan,

You might want to take a look at the ISO Open Systems Interconnect protocol
specifications. They apparently made heavy use of LOTOS (itself an ISO
standard), which is a close cousin of CSP and CCS.

Also of interest may be a paper by Leonard, titled "The LOTOS Specification of
the Enhanced Transport Service". It discusses the actual experience of using
LOTOS in the development of one of the OSI standards. The paper can be found
in Postscript format here:
ftp://ftp.run.montefiore.ulg.ac.be/pub/RUN-PP94-05.ps

Other possible resources (neither of which I've actually read, but which sound
like they might be helpful):

Richard O. Sinnott. Draft - ODP architectural semantics using LOTOS.
International Organization for Standardization, 1993. ISO/IEC JTC1/SC21/WG7

Richard O. Sinnott and Kenneth J. Turner. Applying formal methods to standard
development: The Open Distributed Processing experience.
Computer Standards and Interfaces, 17:615-630, October 1995.

Hopefully you'll find this info helpful.
Cheers,

Allan

--
Allan McInnes <amcinnes@xxxxxxxxxx>