protocol standards that use formal specification of behavior?

Hi all,

I'm working on a SAE standards committee that is trying to add the specification of protocol behavior to their standard.  There are camps of opinion that prefer RPCs, UMLish state machines, and IETF style descriptive-text-plus-illustrative diagrams approaches.  I'm trying to move things in a CSP'ish direction, but it has been a hard sell so far.

Does anyone know of a published protocol standard that formally specifies behavior, including any that use something CSPish?

Thanks!

Alan Grover