Re: A "CJT" in python

jm40@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Python can compile to Java bytecode (well, JPython can at any rate) and as
> it uses the same object model as Java, it should be able to use JCSP and CTJ
> straight away (it can access Java classes as if they were Python classes).

[A language related aside]

It's looking increasingly as though Python will move away from
compatability with the JVM.  There's a "stackless" version of the C
based Python that is probably going to become the standard at some
point.  It's advantage is that, not using the C stack for any particular
thread, it is much easier to do thread switching, handle continuations,
etc.  The disadvantage is that (apparently) it will be difficult to port
to the JVM.

I have no idea whether the stackless version will make CSP more
important for Python or not - I have no experience of langauges with
continuations (the only one I can think of is Scheme).

Andrew