SV: Occam-Tau anyone???

| Eric

| 7. RC_Fail is possible with non-blocking semantics. (no matching request was waiting => return immediately, to be avoided as risk of busy polling)

Or use an XCHAN, and you will not poll (busy or not) even in this situation. See below.

| Eric

| Only giving priorities to messages make little sense as they don't use a lot of the processing resources, whereas Tasks/Processes do.

I would regard message priority as controlling what a process should do when, so the above argument would be invalid

| Ruth

| Essentially, priority is an aspect of the message, not the sender

Yes,.. but the sender sends the high priority message!

But, if the man in the gabardine suit was a spy and his message could changethe war…

..who would let that spy (just any grey spy like him) give priority to his message?

Whom does he think he is?

Hmmm..

| Eric

| I am afraid I share your wishful thinking, even if I regret so.

I have introduced something I call “architectural leak” in [1]:

“Architectural leak” from link to application level could be seen as application code

that is added to compensate for missing features at link level. Chained processes and

overflow buffers are needed when buffered channels are not supplied. Busy polling is

needed if the link level does not deliver appropriate flow control. The channel-readychannel

connected to a buffered channel, described in this paper as x-channel, would

decrease architectural leakage.

So, we’re all striving for architectural balance.

So there should be balance between “I have it all already in my API” and “I want to make it all in my language”.

XCHANs helps that balance!

| David

| What is essential?

New channel types? (like XCHAN?)

protocol-sessions? (as suggested by.. Peter?)

a king to decide (advised by a committee)

a million++ hits on YouTube tutorials, like [2]

after numviewers +=1 to [2] and studying Go to depth see what to learn from it. They have learnt from “Occam”!

..think ahead about what I would do if the king dropped XCHAN and I had joined the committee for the Good XCHAN Cause..

(=some level of consensus needed..)

[1] – CPA-2012: “XCHANs: Notes on a New Channel Type”

[2] – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6kdp27TYZs&sns=em - “Go concurrency patterns” Rob Pike at «Google I/O 2012»:

(Sorry for the XCHAN mantra, but this thread is that room..)

Øyvind