Re: CSP and Actor Comparison

On 1 May 2010 14:09, Rick Beton <rick.beton@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I was frustrated to see that the Wikipedia comparison of CSP and the actor
> model was almost non-existent.  The existing text on this subject seems
> inadequate:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Actor_model#Contrast_with_other_models_of_message-passing_concurrency
>
> It is almost totally concerned with Hoare's preliminary CSP ideas rather
> than what we now know as CSP.  I'm no expert on CCS so cannot comment on
> what it says with any certainty.  However, perhaps the remarks on CSP in
> that section should just be deleted.
>
> So I had a go at writing something clearer:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Communicating_sequential_processes#Comparison_with_the_Actor_Model
>
> Please would you consider reviewing this and correcting any obvious howlers.

Thanks for this Rick;

the link to http://vl.fmnet.info/csp/ labelled "The CSP Archive" (at
the bottom of the page) is broken and should probably be removed. I
notice that, in general, there's a bit about CSP the calculus, but
little if anything about CSP the programming style or common idioms
that might attract practitioners. A more comprehensive entry would
probably need to be split over several pages and include code examples
and advantages over a variety of forms of concurrency, such as STM,
event-driven awfulness, and so on.

Sorry I don't have time to be more helpful!

Sarah

--
Sarah Mount, Senior Lecturer, University of Wolverhampton
website:  http://www.snim2.org/

This email, together with any attachment, is for the exclusive and
confidential use of the addressee(s) and may contain legally
privileged information.  Any use, disclosure or reproduction without
the sender's explicit consent is unauthorised and may be unlawful.

Any e-mail including its content and any attachments may be monitored
and used by The University of Wolverhampton for reasons of security
and for monitoring internal compliance with the University's policy on
internet use. E-mail blocking software may also be used.  The
University cannot guarantee that this message or any attachment is
virus free or has not been intercepted and amended.

If you believe you have received this message in error please notify
the sender by email, telephone or fax and destroy the message and any
copies.