RE: There is always the lecture circuit

Hi Oyvind,

I would not consider this as an overflow buffer. The buffer decouples
senders and receivers as long as their is space in the buffer. Else they
become "synchronuous" again. The same happens when the buffer is full.

The _async services are a more general case with the decouplig being total
until the reserved capacity for decoupling has been depleted (= number of
allocated pool packets used up).

In general, your picture below only shows the dataflow, but that is only
part of the full picture. We have entities (=processes or tasks) that
interact. The interaction is made explicit by the use of the hub that are
Guarded Atomic Actions. The synchronisation is the guard and the action the
consequence. But contrary to pure CSP channels, the guard can be almost
anything (it is a predicate). Hence the guard is valid when it boolean
conditions hold. E.g. it can something like:

1. Sender wants to send a packet
AND
2. Receiver wants to receive a packet
AND
3. There is room in the buffer.
AND
4. Time_out not expired

(IF 1 AND 2 AND 3 AND 4 => synchronisation)

ELSE
	WAIT (_W)
OR
	FAIL (_NW)
OR (TimeOut expired)
 	FAIL  (_WTimeOut)

The action then is: packet passed on from sending side to receiver side.
(implementation: relevant content copied).

With an _async service, the synchronisation is done in 2 steps. A sender
does first 1, a receiver first 2 without waiting. Hence it is like posting
an option to synchronise.

Some info is on the website, else see the API manual at
http://www.altreonic.com/drupal64/node/15

In general, everything is somewhere always synchronuous (and that's best
because resources are always bounded).
What the hub does different is that the synchronisation (read: interaction)
is decoupled from the processes. One result is generality, but also a hub
can be anywhere in the network and can even be defined by the user). It also
povides N-to-N semantics, whereas channels are tied in with the two
processes at either side and only know one type of guard.

In all honesty, we still have some work in formalising the hub as a GAA.
E.g. in an application the Guard could be "the temperature was higher than
the threshold" and the action "switch on the motorpump". This allows us more
or less to claim that OpenComRTOS is more than an RTOS but a new concurrent
programming paradigm for application development.

Eric