Re: Transputer Development System, 2006? (aka Sony PS/3 runs multi-core Linux)

> Hi Larry,
>
> The interpreter runs in userspace on the actual powerpc.  (the cell
> consists of one powerpc
> and 8 spu's - vector processing units).  The vector processing units
> themselves do not run
> any part of the linux kernel and are available for use by 'userspace'
> programs which run
> directly on the vector processors.  Essentially what the
> interpreter/runtime does is it provides
> scheduling and a few other things to occam code that is put on them.
>
> What you've described sounds like it could be a bug in gcc?  Could that
> be correct?

This is how I understand it: Our contractor was writing a Linux 2.6 RAID
driver, in which a necessary operation was finding quotient and remainder
of two 64-bit integers. He wasted a month (!) trying to trace the bug,
before he tested this divide and found that it always yielded zero, no
matter what the divisor or dividend were. Due to hardware shortcomings, a
true 64-bit integer divide had to be done by a function call, and the
kernel developers decreed that they would not allow a function call to be
used as an elementary operation (?), so the actual specification required
that the divide "operation" should be nulled out. As far as I know this is
still true - though it seems to me it should be illegal from the C
language definition point of view. The only solution is to search up all
divides in the source and replace them by explicit function calls.

> Please let me know if I answered your question, as I not sure that I have.
> Damian

Yes, this is at least a starting point. It seems to me that the real occam
is on the spus. The host is in a position more analogous to the PC in a
B008-based Transputer system. That minimizes the danger of dependency on
Linux, which I think would be almost as bad for occam progress as
dependency on OO, while at the same time making all the tools of Linux
available. Nice - although it would be good to make sure that, as close as
possible, the host code should ALSO be robust, well-behaving occam (this
was not done in the Inmos software for B008-based systems).

Larry