Blackhole mailing list issues

Hello,

Tom wrote:
> Do we need two lists - java-threads and occam-com. I certainly don't want to
> get everything twice.
>
> I'd like to see a separate language design list as there seems to be a lot
> of interest. If there was one, I would leave the current lists, but I guess
> some of you would want to be on all three and it would be even worse!

I think: The mailing list behaves a bit like a black hole.
Very useful comments are sent across the list, however,
the are only momentarilly applicable and highly context sensitive.

It would be nice if SOMEONE/SOMETEAM would extract summaries from the
mailing list, and build up a Frequently Asked Questions list, or in
general some kind of knowledge/experience database.

I was thinking of some kind of WEB-based databank, on which people can
post and read messages.  The messages are automatically forwarded via
the mailing list, reactions via the mailing list, or via the WEB
are automatically recorded.

I would expect suitable public domain systems to be available.  You
see them everywhere on the WEB.  I remember the Linux Kernel Hackers
Guide WEB site to be a reasonable example.

E.g., Tom could maintain a section on language design issues.
  - He collects people's reactions.
  - He makes summaries (parts of his thesis/articles)
  - He determines the relevance (score) of each reaction.

Advantages of such an approach:
- Older issues remain open (black hole effect is gone)
- The system becomes more open to outsiders.
- The reaction trace becomes clearer.
- There is categorisation, it is easier to find solutions.
- Research in CSP is highly distributed.  This approach could
  become the basis for efficient distributed research.

What do people think...?

If it is liked, maybe some WoTuG money could be invested in this
medium...

Cheers,
	Marcel