Re: A path for CSP-based

Andrew Cooke wrote:

> However, we already had a significant amount of Java code that used the
> language's basic threading primitives and some of the simpler bits of
> Doug Lee's library.  Changing our product (which is a collection of
> sperate chunks of code, running on different machines, each containing
> maybe a dozen threads typically, and conversing via simple HTML based
> protocols) to use the CSP approach would have meant changing a lot of
> code and learning a new bunch of skills.
> Sorry if this is completely off-thread - had ten mins to kill (maybe it
> would have been better spent recoding something with the CSP libs :-)

Andrew Cooke's posting reflects much of my experience in industry: you have to
inter-work with other teams who may do things differently, and you may have to
build on legacy code from time to time.

Perhaps if Andrew will fogive me for offering unsolicited advice, it would be
this: take a divide and conquer route, rather than a big bang. If your Java
systems have meaningful dataflow decompositions at a coarse-grained level (and
which large systems don't?), then you can apply JCSP or CTJ at that level
initially. Wherever there is a benefit, rewrite to increasingly fine-grained
decomposition using JCSP or CTJ.

Regards,
Rick
begin:vcard
n:Beton;Richard
tel;pager:ICQ: 56840977
tel;cell:MSN/Hotmail: richardbeton@xxxxxxxxxxx
tel;fax:01794 833434
tel;work:01794 833458
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
url:http://www.beton.freeserve.co.uk/
org:Roke Manor Research Limited;Internet Technology & Networks
adr:;;Roke Manor: http://www.roke.co.uk/;;;SO51 0ZN;UK
version:2.1
email;internet:richard.beton@xxxxxxxxxx
title:Internet Consultant
note;quoted-printable:The information contained in this e-mail is confidential and must =0D=0Anot be passed to any third party without permission. This =0D=0Acommunication is for information only and shall not create =0D=0Aor change any contractual relationship. =0D=0A
fn:Rick Beton
end:vcard