Making CSP into a success

"To every one in particular,"

I would like to start a discussion on a HOT topic, however:

* I realize that this mail can be seen as very critical,
  it is just meant to make you think about whether there
  is some truth in my remarks...
* This mail presents a very black & white view,
  the truth is always somewhere inbetween
* This mail is not addresses to anyone in particular
* I think with CSP, you actually have got an top-quality topic, as
  a industrialist with an acadamic heart, I predict a near
  future industrial breakthrough...

The following needs to be done to make a success of the CSP-based
initiatives:
1. Acadamics should realize that they are acadamics.
   You are an acadamic if you match the following pattern:
   1. Your are (mainly) interested in research.
   2. You are performing research.
   3. You are happy with your situation.
   4. You do not have a strong drive to either earn lots of
      money, nor to get into a politically powerful position.
   NOTE: I think Acadamics build the far future: it is a beautiful
         profession.  If you are a true acadamic, you have got
         something to be very proud of.
2. The professional task of an acadamic is as follows:
   (1) Investigate interesting topics, for each topic:
   (2) Define the use of that topic.
   (3) Define the limitations of that topic, decompose the topic
       into sub-topics, and repeat (1) for each individual sub-topic.
   (4) Think of practical usages of that topic.
   (5) Provide practical proof of the usage of the topic
       in a laboratory-like situation.
   (6) Cooperate with industry to take full advantage within
       the practical requirement boundaries of industry.
3. Acadamics should be aware not to:
   1. Forget (2)
   2. Be very clear about (3), try not to investigate too many ideas
      at once
   3. To not go too far in (4)
   4. To realize that their practical uses (5) is typically
      laboratory-like, and not directly suitable for
      industry (6).
   In general, acadamic do investigate interesting topics very
   well, after they have started to like their own ideas, and grown
   into them, they think they can change the world with a laboratory rat.
   Note that by extracting an industrial problem, and solving that
   very problem, a LOT OF respect and understanding can be gained.
4. Acadamics should realize the industrialists (generally people who
   are eager for both success and money) will pick up their ideas
   if they produce (1) readable, well-understandable papers, that (2)
   solve real-life problems, and (3) show which problems will not be
   solved, and which category of techniques complements the new ideas.
   For serious industry, money is peanuts compared to a practically
   useable idea.
5. Real acadamics (those strongly matching the pattern) are unsuitable
   to become industrialists.  However, they should realize that by
   focussing on "4.", and succeeding, they have proven (1) to really
   have a good idea, and (2) to be a true and respectable acadamic.

Example:
- Realize that Occam at the moment is a laboratory rat, one with a
  very nice character, but a very ugly one.
- Do not try to put make-up on the ugly rat... (forget the syntax nonsence)
- Identify its limitations.
- Tell the world the rat is very ugly, but the a good character is
  much more important.
- Tell the world that the baby rats can be pretty, if only a beautiful
  mother rat would pass by.

If you are an acadamic, I invite you to think of at least 3 other
occasions in which you made the mistakes mentioned in "3."...

(please read this again)
* I realize that this mail can be seen as very critical,
  it is just meant to make you think about whether there
  is some truth in my remarks...
* This mail presents a very black & white view,
  the truth is always somewhere inbetween
* This mail is not addresses to anyone in particular
* I think you actually have got an top-quality topic, as
  a industrialist with an acadamic heart, I predict a near
  future industrial breakthrough...

I'm sure the industrialists can provide plenty of very
serious practical problem for which a neat solution is
needed.  I definitely know I can come up with one, or
or more.  Also industrialists at CPA2000 have...

What does EVERY ONE think...?

(Hoping for very many reactions...)

Cheers,
	Marcel