Re: "No aliasing = no garbage collection"

On Sep 25,  9:22am, Oyvind Teig wrote:
} Subject: Re: "No aliasing = no garbage collection"
}
} > >  Microchip Technologies PIC processors
} > >   that zip along in assembly are much cheaper than ones that use C,
} > Well actually there is a PIC 'C' compiler, sold as part of the L150 SDK...
}
} See:
}   http://gales.ecs.soton.ac.uk/software/spoc/
}   http://gales.ecs.soton.ac.uk/software/spoc/spoc.PIC-linux.tgz
}     May 1999.
}     Sam Ellis's version of SPoC with the PIC back end. This includes
}     binaries for Intel iA32 linux and ARM linux (!) along with the
}     sources for the GMD compiler tools and his project report.
}     It's a good version for a new user to get.
}
} --
} Oyvind
}
} @ Oyvind Teig (oyvind.teig@xxxxxxxxxxxx, oyvind.teig@xxxxxxxxxxxx)
} @   Navia Maritime AS, division Autronica, 7005 Trondheim Norway
} @   Tel: +47 73 58 12 68, Fax: +47 73 58 10 01
} @   http://www.autronica.no/
} @   Now part of world's largest company in maritime electronics:
} @   http://www.kongsberg.com/
} @ Publications at: http://www.autronica.no/pub/tech/rd/index.htm
}
}
}-- End of excerpt from Oyvind Teig

This wasn't exactly the point I was making... I was aware of the PICs
built for a C compiler. What I meant to point out was the much smaller,
cheaper PICs with the same capabilities that use assembly - smaller and
cheaper because they don't have to support C stacks, etc. The code
looks the same in assembly as in C.

Larry