RE: Ravenscar profile and occam on the transputer

Hi all

The bed of nails could be used in place of a C004 for another reason – it would need a piece of code to configure it. Replacing it with fixed wiring saves that – as the other extra board is an RS422 driver and the unused TRAM sockets have a link hardwired through, I would guess that this board was used in some sort of test setup as the simplest and cheapest way to drive some remote(ish) transputers from a PC. If there were no TRAMs with transputers on the board, then this board would simply have been a link adapter (can’t remember the part number) mapped into the memory space of the PC then driving via RS422. As such, someone may have been using it without transputers at all – just as a means of getting a nice simple high speed serial link for some sort of one off piece of kit. In that case, an RS422 connected to another link adapter may have been all that was at the other end – or they used RS422 then connected to a TRAM and so that all the transputers were in the remote kit and this was simply a cheap way of booting them over a reasonable distance.

They may have removed the C004 from the B008 socket and used it in their own kit at the other end.

Tony Gore

Aspen Enterprises Limited email  tony@xxxxxxxxxxxx

tel +44-1278-761000  GSM +44-7768-598570 URL: www.aspen.uk.com

Registered in England and Wales no. 3055963 Reg.Office Aspen House, Burton Row, Brent Knoll, Somerset TA9 4BW.  UK