RE: Anybody seen this?

Hi Larry

Producing chips in a fabless fashion is quite simple

1)      You create the design

2)      You send the design off to a fab to be made

Even many of the chips from traditional manufacturers are now made in “third party” fabs such as TSMC. Hardly surprising when a state of the art fab is some $7B.

XMOS chips are effectively fabless.

The Kalray chip seems to have a fair bit of inheritance from the ST VLIW stuff that superceded the transputer, which is hardly surprising since most of the staff CVs are ex ST/ST-Ericsson.

Producing the chips is not cheap, because of mask costs. However, there are low volume schemes whereby several customers chips are put on the same wafer to cut costs.

Tony Gore

Aspen Enterprises Limited email  tony@xxxxxxxxxxxx

tel +44-1278-761000  FAX +44-1278-760006  GSM +44-7768-598570 URL: www.aspen.uk.com

Registered in England and Wales no. 3055963 Reg.Office Aspen House, Burton Row, Brent Knoll, Somerset TA9 4BW.  UK