Re: Occam-Tau - the natural successor to Occam-Pi - or is there one already?

Eric,

You seem to be stuck in the past. If you need more processors or
hardware threads, use them. It doesn't matter if you 'waste' some
processing resource - most current systems waste a lot of
resources - especially memory. And the most effective device to
respond to an external event is an idle processor - or thread.

It's probably ok to regard an XMOS thread as a Turing/Von-Neumann
machine. But XMOS is (I think) the only architecture that uses multiple
real-time threads as i/o controllers. I don't think this was envisaged by
Turing or Von Neumann. In this respect the XMOS cores do exactly
what you are asking for in your paragraph below starting "The major
point ..." - but they don't need  "peripheral hardware" or a "schedulability
analysis". There's no need for Interrupts - multiple threads are much
more effective. You haven't commented on the ability to statically predict
and guarantee response times on the XMOS cores - this goes well
beyond anything that can be achieved using interrupts.

Why on earth would you want to run 100 real-time threads on just one
tiny processor? Is there a realistic example of this? I think there are
more interesting problems to solve.

David