From: Denis A Nicole [mailto:dan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: 31 March 2010 14:58
To: Tony Gore
Cc: Ian East; Jones, Chris C (UK Warton); occam-com@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: Race condition...

On Wed, 31 Mar 2010, Tony Gore wrote:
> He told me that the Potters Bar rail crash was inevitable once the
railways
> were split up into parts. Here is why.
> Hard metal on hard metal is not a good combination;
> ...Then we had privatisation.
> ...And this gave us the critical condition of hard wheels and hard
track;
> ...resulting in the flanges repeatedly making contact with the rails
and
> effectively giving them a hammer blow.

I'm from Potters Bar, and my dad installed the signalling on that line.
As I
remember it, the failed rail was at Hatfield---two stations north; the
Potters
Bar problem involved loose and missing bolts on points. I think the
company
involved in Potters Bar, Jarvis, went to the receivers on Monday.

See: http://www.jarvis-uk.com/

Denis A Nicole              WWW:   http://www.hpcc.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~dan
School of Electronics       Email: dan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
       & Computer Science   Phone: +44 23 8059 2703
University of Southampton   Fax:   +44 23 8059 3045
SO17  1BJ
United Kingdom