From: Mailing_List_Robot [mailto:sympa@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Ruth
Ivimey-Cook
Sent: maandag 2 februari 2009 22:19
To: occam-com
Subject: A CSP library "for dummies"?

Folks,

Is there a CSP-type threads library that is compilable using only a C
compiler on Windows/MacOSX/Linux?

I'm trying to wean some folks at work off pthreads and suggested
libc++csp, but it's C++ roots rule it out. I guess it could probably be
ported, but that's not going to make it more appealing. I know of RB's
libcsp, but have been slightly put off just because it seems very old now
and wonder how "supported" it is.

Finally, in a mail to a developer here I wrote:

/"RIC: Finally, it is interesting to note that cooperative scheduling is
*very* much more efficient than preemptive scheduling; the trick is to write
the scheduling points into the code using the compiler, making it less
likely that one thread starves others."/

/"AJCD: //Also, cooperative scheduling ultimately relies on state machines,
which are hard to debug and maintain, and tend to rely more on heap
allocation than stack allocation."/

Now, I don't think AJCD's point about state machines is quite valid in this
context as I think he's thinking about big switch statements of bits of code
and a loop, but he's an intelligent guy: any thoughts on a good reply?

Going back to my comment, are there any C compilers that have/can be
"instrumented" to do the "inject-scheduling point" thing, with suitable
library support. All I can think of is Handel-C, which is not appropriate.

Thanks, and Merry Christmas to you all!

Ruth