To: "Barry Cook" <Barry@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: <occam-com@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, December 14, 2006 5:31 PM
Subject: Re: Inline VALOF

"Barry Cook" <Barry@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

I wonder if there is some intermediate, maybe a more flexible
display (colour, more symbols) and extended keyboard use

You might find Chuck Moore's colorForth system interesting to look at
-- it's a rather idiosyncratic Forth variant in which colour is
syntactically significant:
 http://www.colorforth.com/cf.html

Extended character sets have somewhat gone out of fashion since APL,
although there's at least one language that still has one:
 http://www.aplusdev.org/

Those of us who use syntax-highlighting editors for occam and other
languages already take advantage of colour to give us instant feedback
on basic errors in the code we're writing.

(what happened to folding? - I don't see much mention of it, even
though it is available in Emacs, ...).

It's widely available in modern editors -- VIM, jEdit and Eclipse
support it too, for example. There's some interest in using it outside
the occam community (spurred mostly, I think, by outliner-like
applications), but it's far from mainstream.

--
Adam Sampson <ats@xxxxxxxxx>                         <http://offog.org/>