Re: JCSP Advice anyone?

Hi Ruth, Bernhard and everyone,

I agree with Bernhard that you should take a look at the call-channel concept - the only problem is that its a bit long winded to put together. Ideally I wanted to extend the Java syntax in our (the now expired Quickstone) JCSP compiler to do this much more simply, but we had to stop work on it before we got that far. We did however write a rather cool Java app to support code generation of complex call channel servers in bulk, but I'm not sure how much use that'd be to Ruth as it outputs Java. Another approach that might be worth considering is creating a call channel interface using a proxy object in a similar way to the Hibernate database library. Java Proxy objects allow you to dynamically create a Java interface and respond to method invocations pro grammatically. I don't even know if C# supports this, but I'd be surprised if it didn't. It does however depend on how bothered you are about efficiency. It's also a bit complicated - but more fun :). If you're feeling really adventurous you could use reflection (and possibly method annotations) to generate the necessary classes/interfaces statically at build time, which would get around the efficiency problem...

One thing that'd might make things easier (i.e. less long-winded) might be to write a class that extends CSProcess that just takes a delegate and calls it in its run method. It'd then be easier to create processes with less code - I have to admit I haven't fully thought this approach through as I'm not really that familiar with delegates.

Also remember that you don't have to use Parallel or ProcessManager at all if it's a real pain, you could just start threads in the normal C# way - the CSP synchronization operations will still work.

Good luck,

Jim
//
Bernhard Sputh wrote:

Hi Ruth,

below my suggestions on how to solve Your problem using JCSP.