RE: OO vs. CSP - Papers, Arguments?

JCSP and CTJ are limited to Java. Java was designed to leave many things up
to the user. At least JCSP and CTJ provide proper guidance for building
safer concurrent software.
One simple guideline is that the user must obey the ownership rule (aliases
must be avoided) when sending object references across channels. Java does
not check this rule, but the programmer can apply this rule during
programming. This is not hard, because you only have to check the producer
processes.
CSP is inherently compositional and does scale up well. Objects are
compositional, but objects+multithreading are poorly compositional. In other
words, multithreading does not maintain the compositionality of objects. CSP
does maintain the compositionality of objects along processes.

> CSP is not a silver bullet either. It scales up poorly. Try to implement
> system with 400 channels (I did) and debug such system. "Spagetti
> channels" is no fun, and maintaining large systems based on CSP is pretty
> hard.

"Spagetti channels" is something I have never experienced. The large number
of channels was never a big issue. The number of channels does not
necessarily make debugging harder; one does not need to consider all the
channels at ones. A cycle of communications may contain many channels, but
still this can be analyzed without extensive run-time debugging. Perhaps it
is more difficult to find the cycles of communication in a complex design
(spider-web). This tells more about the design or lack of proper tool
support.
CSP allows you to debug complex systems in a systematic way. Every process
can be tested in isolation. Furthermore, you can add probe channels to
collect the traces of events. This also allows you to observe real-time
behavior (dead-lines between events). Of course, FDR can assist to find
pathological problems.

Systematic debugging is undocumented, is it? Is there a paper that
addressing systematic debugging in CSP-based frameworks? Perhaps this is an
interesting topic for the CPA-2006. Any volunteers?

BTW CPA-2005 was a great success.

Gerald.