From: owner-occam-com@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-occam-com@xxxxxxxxxx]On
Behalf Of Allan McInnes
Sent: Tuesday, March 15, 2005 8:42 PM
To: occam-com@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: CELL processors again...

Quoting Eric Verhulst OLS <eric.verhulst@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> Yeah, an the best one is 'about us' : coming soon and the menu for being
> added to the waiting list.
>
> Where have I seen this before? i860, T9000, TigerSharc, ...
>
> At least on paper, it looks promising,

Eric,
Please note that cellsupercomputer.com does not appear to be the website of
the
actual Cell chip manufacturers, but rather a site for some small company
that
intends to make use of the Cell chips when they are actually produced. I
wouldn't judge the prospects of the Cell based on cellsupercomputer.com
alone.

The Cell processor itself is being developed by Sony, Toshiba, and IBM - not
exactly fly-by-night companies. Sony apparently plans to introduce the Cell
in
their Playstation 3 game console. That doesn't *guarantee* that it will come
fruition, but does make it much more likely.

Allan
--
Allan McInnes <amcinnes@xxxxxxxxxx>
PhD Candidate