RE: Massively parallel FPGA systems

Check out

www.clearspeed.com

This was originally PixelFusion - they had a chip with 256 processors
intended for graphics, but have then moved to the network processing
arena.

www.picochip.com is another startup in the Bristol area with an MPP chip

There are a few others around the Bristol area (what a surprise) - most
of the chips are targeted at specific applications i.e. solving a market
need, rather than general purpose computing.

The other place where you will find a few substantially parallel
processors is the network processing area - from IBM's offering (just
sold to someone else) which had 8 general purpose CPUs to some more MPP
systems. Packet proecssing at 10Gbit/s wire speed takes some doing on
silicon. I don't know how parallel it is, but the Ezchip offering is the
one being used in a 10G switch being developed in a project I manage -
we have now demonstrated 10G ethernet over dark fibre (250km), through
fibre without the SONET interfaces (3000km), 1G ethernet between CERN
and Canada, which will be 10G any day now (see www.ist-esta.org although
I have yet to add the latest press releases)

Tony Gore

email  tony@xxxxxxxxxxxx (alternative if problems
tonygore@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
tel +44-1278-761001  FAX +44-1278-760006  GSM +44-7768-598570
Aspen Enterprises Limited
Registered in England and Wales no. 3055963 Reg.Office Aspen House,
Burton Row, Brent Knoll, Somerset TA9 4BW.  UK