Re: Priority modeling with CSP?

Dyke

>CSP does not include priority itself, but has it been used to model
>schemes for handling priority inversion, priority inheritance, etc.???
It depends what you mean by priority. I think Hoare's definition of
interruption implies a notion of priority (#5.4, as I remember, in his
CSP book).

One thought that helps me, is that any concern over priority tends to
disappear given enough processors, and CSP is intended to be hardware
(implementation) independent, for good reasons. Of course, that doesn't
help in practice. I can no more imagine programming any reactive system
without priority than I can doing my job properly without it. (I should
be marking...)

As I understand it, no-one is clear about what inheritance of a process
means, still less priority. Recommend Twan Basten's paper on object
inheritance (available online, apologies for lacking the reference here
and now).

Hope your call is provocative...

Ian

Dr. Ian Robert East
Field Chair: Computer Systems (CI, CJ)
Module Leader: Computer Hardware (8733)

Room T2.10, Turing Building                      0 (44) 1865 484529
School of Computing and Mathematical Sciences
Oxford Brookes University
Wheatley Campus
Oxford OX33 1HX                                ireast@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

2001/2 Term 1 Consultation hours: