Re: Objects, processes, and encapsulation

Marcel

>Cyclic & Synchronous relationships are a problem: in CSP and in OO.
>
>Should they be rulled out? If so, how? If not, how should they be dealt with?
Precisely this sort of relationship is ruled out by enforcing the C/S
design rule (which I should add originated with Peter).

Am enclosing a copy of the chapter in my little book which dealt with
deadlock avoidance. (UCL Press have bequeathed me all copyright, which I
hereby pass on to current subscribers, with the usual caveats. Hope it
survives the transition to Windoze, or Unix, from Mac.)

The question is whether this rule is too restrictive, or whether a wide
enough (?) range of useful systems can be built this way. Combining
design rules, in general, is not a solved problem.

Cheers
Ian

Dr. Ian Robert East         School of Computing and Mathematical Sciences
ireast@xxxxxxxxxxxxx                            Oxford Brookes University
(44) 1865 483635                                          Turing Building
                                                          Wheatley Campus
                                                          Oxford OX33 1HX
Consultation hours for 2001/2002 Term 1
Mon 09.00..11.00