RE: Mobile Processes (was 'Slides from my talk at CPA2000')

Hi Tom,

A while back, you wrote:

> So when a mobile process (or if you prefer, it's channels) moves along a
> channel, the sender looses all contact with that process. We are dividing
> the world of components into two camps - the static functional components,
> that are wired into networks and interact with many other components, and
> the mobile data components that move around freely, and have one user
> (client) at a time.

You limit Mobile Processes to "single-client-to-server", to avoid
a number of *problems* (allowing deadlock analysis, being able to reason
about the correctness) (I agree that this limitation avoids those
problems).

A bit further one, you mention that it should be possible for
processes to plug themselves into a channel network to allow
for example communication to their original environment:

> >Is there a way to limit access to
> >a sent object such that you don't get aliasing, but it can
> >still interact with its original environment?
>
> If processes can change roles:
> Mobile process x moves from env1 to env2. On arrival it plugs itself into a
> channel network that has connections back to env1 (and is no longer mobile).

Question:
  How do you guarantee that this plugging into channel network
  does not re-introduce the *problems*?

Cheers,
	Marcel