OO and CSP

Hi
Given that OO seems to have become the Orthodox
Religion of the rest of the computing world, I've been
thinking about what "concurrent objects" should mean.

It seems to me that Occam achieves good performance
partly because channels are process-to-process links,
and processes are pretty much statically defined entities.

What are the performance implications if you allow object-to-
object channels?  At the top level, the concept doesn't seem
difficult, but at the system implementation level, the implied
handshaking between all participants in an event would
require a combinatorial expansion of low-level communication,
wouldn't it?

Does this mean that concurrent objects are fundamentally
incompatible with real-time requirements?

Does anybody know if existing theory (maybe the pi-calculus)
speaks to this problem?

-jc