From: "Jones, Chris C (UK Warton)" <Chris.C.Jones@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: 08 May 2009 13:46
To: 'Larry Dickson'
Subject: RE: JCSP, CSP Networking, and other some other points

Even now, we would write some applications in occam were there a
reasonable way of programming a large parallel computer - we currently
run 128 quad cores with a Quadrics switch.  There are some issues
though:

1.  Lack of occam knowledge - actually this is far worse than it sounds.
We lack parallel computing knowledge at a fundamental level.  Making
cals to MPI libraries is not the same thing.

2.  Personnally, I'd like to see a development systems akin to the old
TDS - I am so old I actually do not like the modern programme writing
pardigm with thousnads of interlinked filelets requiring a compendium of
flow charts and dependency diagrams and spreadsheets to track effects.
I am actually in a day-mare trying to sort out such a problem at the
moment.

3.  Access to standard libraries like LINPACK and NAG.  This may be a
solved problem, I haven't looked recently.

4.  We would have to be able to identify an organisation that would take
responsibility for supporting the compilers.

--
MSc./Ir A.C. van Rossum
Researcher