Re: JCSP - Interpreter (& too restricted visibility of classes in JCSP package)

Kevin (and the list),

So you are suggesting a protected schedule() method that simply calls the Alternative.schedule() package-private method? I think that would make sense to go in Guard and, as you say, it should allow new guards to be implemented. Peter and I are currently trying to reshuffle the internal class arrangement so we can look at including that change. I'm not sure that JCSP was ever structured with the intention of being extendible, so it is interesting to see that Anne has a requirement for it.

Neil.

Kevin Chalmers wrote:
Hi folks,

Just a thought on this one quickly (Neil I'd like your opinion especially). Why not place a schedule method in the AltingChannelInput abstract class, or even Guard, with protected level visibility. This would allow all derived classes of Guard to call schedule, but remove the restriction that it must be in jcsp.lang. This would solve Anne's problem, but still not expose Alternative to the outside world too much, only via Guards. Personally I've never had a call to implement a new Guard, all my new channels extend NetAltingChannelInput, and are therefore automatically Guards without much hassle. However, it does seem a necessary feature by the looks of things.

On another note, I am getting pretty close to having our .NET CSP library ready for a release. Sorry for the delay. After the poor results (solved by Ruth) I was going to scrap it, but after the interest I have been working on it when I can. Really, all I need to do is finish off the documentation. I initially was going to write it all myself, but I am now getting lazy and cutting and altering from JCSP documentation to speed up the process. Any interest let me know. I will post again when I'm ready (hopefully in a week or two).

Regards

Kevin Chalmers
Research Student
School of Computing
Napier University
Edinburgh

Anne van Rossum wrote:
Hi Kevin,

Thanks for your response. The code from One2OneChannelImpl can not be
copied, because it uses the method .schedule() from the Alternative
class in the .util package that is not visible outside that package.

I want to have different classes of components. Let I use the following
terminology:
      * CodeBlocks: implement CSProcess but send and receive "normal"
        data over their channel inputs and outputs;
      * Interpreters: implement CSProcess and may send and receive
        CodeBlock's over their channel inputs and outputs. Interpreters
        therefore are able to schedule, manipulate CodeBlock's. In this
        way e.g. different scheduling techniques can be tried in
        parallel. Or  interpreters may only understand CodeBlock's in a
        certain programming language. They function as virtual machines;
      * Universal Interpreters: implement (in Java) CSProcess and may
        send and receive Interpreters over their channel inputs and
        outputs. Channel's should cross-language and cross-platform in
        the sense of pipes, CORBA, tcp/ip. Transporting an interpreter
        to another machine corresponds with e.g. downloading a JRE to
        that machine. They are a kind of "universal" virtual machines.

CodeBlock's have certain restrictions on their channel inputs that I
address explicitely.
I will temporarily remove the extension of the AltingChannelInput class.

That channel endpoints are separate entities is indeed useful. They are
in other Java libraries modelled as InputPipe and OutputPipe (JXTA), as
SourceChannel and SinkChannel (java.nio.channels), as Puttable and
Takable (java.util.concurrent).

Kind regards,

Anne