[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: Is OO a deliberate fraud?
- To: "Jim Davies" <Jim.Davies@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Subject: Re: Is OO a deliberate fraud?
- From: "Joe Bowbeer" <joe.bowbeer@xxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2006 12:13:50 -0700
- Cc: Andrew.Delin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, eric.verhulst@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, tjoccam@xxxxxxxxxxx, Ruth.Ivimey-Cook@xxxxxxxxxx, jgsack@xxxxxxxxxx, p.h.welch@xxxxxxxxxx, java-threads@xxxxxxxxxx, occam-com@xxxxxxxxxx, j.kerridge@xxxxxxxxxxxx
- Delivery-date: Thu, 08 Jun 2006 20:17:42 +0100
- Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=beta; d=gmail.com; h=received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:cc:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references; b=tMr//6crqhVVRrKJ+q01pZT4ygmomzlU0P9BO/JpisN47F85DTEYhofc5xkFSnYqf7R2zbbpWx7czp0lFBb91tQODCwn2lfsNop1qg1TaP6VULoag2xnoyl+626iHa6uL/v9PZZi14cvBSXTEQ13U91Ea8J7VwXczO/yEWiiv4k=
- Envelope-to: ats1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
- In-reply-to: <200606080833.JAA28480@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- References: <200606080833.JAA28480@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Sender: owner-java-threads@xxxxxxxxxx
On 6/8/06, Jim Davies <Jim.Davies@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
[ ... ]
Many of the books on OO are quite unhelpful. But that's down to the
generally poor state of the publishing industry - I don't think that
it indicates any increase in the amount of bad science; in fact, I
think that the science is in rude health. Around here, certainly.
Some of those books may be so unhelpful - wrong, even - as to
constitute fraud, but there is nothing deliberate there. And the
fraud has nothing to do with the substance of OO; it is the product of
bandwagon-jumping and self-promotion.
And I shouldn't pay it any mind, if I were you. The concurrency
revolution is here, and whatever solution emerges will need to extend
existing object technology, even if only at the design level.
I agree with your statements about the publishing industry. It's hard
to find a good book!
Nevertheless, Brian Goetz and our Java Concurrency Utilities Expert
Group (JSR-166) made a valiant attempt to beat the curve :-)
Java Concurrency in Practice
I'd be interested to hear your comments.
I'd also love to read a short, example-filled book about CSP or other
process-oriented approaches to programming. I'm thinking of something
with the form of JavaSpaces(*), only about CSP. A lean, efficient
volume with a generous complement of novel concepts and useful
Joe Bowbeer ~ joebowbeer.thruhere.net