Re: New Book: CONCURRENCY

>Inheritance is still the subject of debate for its merits in code re-use. C++
>has, however, clouded the issue by its highly impure implementation.
>Certainly
>within Siemens, code re-use by means of inheritance has been found seriously
>wanting. One way in which inheritance seems to be clearly beneficial is when
>an abstract class is given concrete implementations to meet particular
>requirements. This is typical of much of the Java standard APIs.
I agree completely that inheritance as refinement (loosely), used for
interface spec is valuable, though incomplete. We need better ways of
specifying interfaces.

>Perhaps it's fair to say, inheritance seems to be more useful the fewer
>layers of inheritance are applied.
Again, I agree. It would be interesting to know just what the statistics
are.

Would we want inheritance as part of any successor to occam?

Ian

Dr. Ian Robert East
01865 483635
Room T408, Tongue Building
School of Computing and Mathematical Sciences
Oxford Brookes University