Re: Transistor count

Oops

1/2 Mbyte per core 900 MB total.

I must read what I have written before sending it......

Roger Shepherd
rog@xxxxxxxx

On 23 Nov 2020, at 16:04, Larry Dickson <tjoccam@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

60B transistors, 1472 processor cores, each with 900MB.
So, in your budget for this device, you need to allow many more transistors for the processor, more for RAM - I’m sure 32k is too small - and a lot more for interconnect. The system structure is likely to be “transputer” (processor, RAM and limited comms) and routers.

The nearest machine I know of that might have this sort of architecture is the Graphcore Colossus (https://www.graphcore.ai/products/ipu). 60B transistors, 1472 processor cores, each with 900MB.

At 6 transistors per bit, 1472*900M*8 bits comes out too many transistors. They must mostly