Re: Question on T9000

Larry

Much to my amazement I couldn’t find a copy of the official documentation on my shelves….. But my google is my friend and I now have an electronic copy (although not OCR’d). But the documentation looks pretty good to me.

So, to some of your points:

“Logical” v. “Virtual”

Both are non-physical; virtual addresses are logical addresses, but not necessarily vice versa.

Logical address must be translated into physical addressss. Commonly this is done using page tables, where the address space is split into pages of a particular size and a table of translations is maintained, one entry for each page which has to be translated (there are many variations but this is the simplest version for the purpose of explanation). In the T9000, addresses are translated, but not with a page-based mechanism.

The key property of virtual addresses is that, it should be possible to run with only some of the required physical memory being present. This is achieved by the processor “faulting” when it attempts to access a logical address for which the corresponding physical location is not present or allocated, and being able to recover from the fault once the physical memory were made available