RE: Transputer - schools

-----Original Message-----
From: Sympa,pkg125 [mailto:sympa@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Richard Dobson
Sent: 26 June 2013 10:17
To: occam-com@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Transputer - schools

On 26/06/2013 08:21, Tony wrote:
..

> Maybe what we need is "occarm" for the Raspberry PI?

That would be a great thing to have. Of course the R-Pi already has a parallel processor in the form of the built-in GPU (in the Broadcom chip). Unfortunately there is little scope for programming it directly.
Not exactly CSP-ready, but there are many important/interesting massively-parallel tasks which could be explored. If Broadcom could be persuaded to provide some low latency GPU-based FFT operations, and maybe a few other vector-based arithmetic ops, I am sure a phase vocoder could be got to run in real time on the R-Pi, with enough spare CPU to do some interesting things (such as pitch shifting) with it.

Richard Dobson

On 26/06/2013 08:21, Tony wrote:
..

> Maybe what we need is "occarm" for the Raspberry PI?

That would be great.
For the Raspberry Pi and Adaptva Parallella we are talking standard Linux host - so presumably quite simple I would have thought.
What will probably be significantly harder is porting Occam so it can say run in the Adapteva multi-cpu Epiphany chips.

It is to Occam that I look for providing a "harness" in which to embed concise/agile array processing nodes.
So questions arise :

How difficult will it be to link the communication channels provided by such an Occam harness in a multi-core processor to the pipe input/output of the array processing nodes at each core ?

How difficult will it be to use the communication channels in a Beowulf Cluster from Occam ?
Cheers,
	Beau Webber
	www.Lab-Tools.com