RE: Race condition...

Hi Eric

Some years ago I reviewed some developments on time triggered architectures for anti-lock braking. Here each wheel acted independently. I did some calculations on taking the bus time interval and how far a car would travel on a high speed bend on the autobahn at 160km/h and it was around 1.5m. I then considered what would happen on black ice if the brakes were applied to one or opposite wheels by this time interval and decided that I would not want to be in that car as this would probably start an uncontrollable spin.

This is one example of the difference between the continuous domain and the discrete domain.

Default actions can be quite tricky to define. When I worked at Motorola, we had the "Motocar". This was a Lancia Delta wher we took out all the wiring (1.5km) and put a power bus and a fibre optic control bus round the car. There were then about 30 black boxes e.g. one at each light cluster. The question of default actions e.g. when communications failed became interesting. Lights are easy - you put them on, as it is no real problem to have lights on during the day, but hard and illegal to drive without lights at night. Same with the fuel pump. The biggest question is what to do with the windscreen wipers - default on or off?

By the way, it was fun driving such a car in failure mode, as there were no turn signals, and the UK highway code never gave hand signals for a left hand drive car turning right and unable to open the electric windows!

Tony Gore

email  tony@xxxxxxxxxxxx
tel +44-1278-761000  FAX +44-1278-760006  GSM +44-7768-598570
Aspen Enterprises Limited
Registered in England and Wales no. 3055963 Reg.Office Aspen House, Burton Row, Brent Knoll, Somerset TA9 4BW.  UK