Re: son of occam (was: Re: JCSP, CSP Networking, and other some other points)

For the last few years I have been writing code in Ruby
(http://www.ruby-lang.org/)  (Full OO)

There are a lot of good books on Ruby, particularly from Pragmatic
Programmers (http://www.pragprog.com/) who have a 'Beta' book scheme -
download a preliminary pdf now, with periodic updates - then get the
paper book when it is eventually published. This squeezes the time delay
out of the 'knowledge - book publishing - knowledge acquisition'
waterfall.

A very reasonable programming IDE platform is Eclipse
(http://www.eclipse.org/) which supports a variety of languages (not
Occam or CSP as yet though..) It natively supports Java.

>From Aptana (http://www.aptana.com/) you can download a plugin - Aptana
Studio - which runs on top of Eclipse.

Aptana Studio includes RadRails, which is quite a good IDE for
developing web browser/database programs using the Ruby on Rails idiom.
(straight Ruby as well). All of the above (not books of course) are
freely downloadable.

Every programmer has his own langue de l'instant. Ruby happens to be
mine, just as Occam was a few decades ago.

The point however:

There are enough tools and IDE platforms out in the open source world to
mix and match to create powerful tools for concurrent programming.

The web browser/database environment is pretty easy these days. It can
also be leveraged to provide massive development and debugging support
for all kinds of programs - not specifically those used for web site
support.

Folks with PhD candidates-in-waiting take notice.

Bob Gustafson