RE: Benefits of CSP Based Programming Languages

Hi William,

Automotive is indeed an area that could use the rigor of CSP. But it's a hard selling job in this rather political/protected mechanical world.

Nevertheless, things are happening. Soon relieve will come not just from using CSP, but from using rigorous Systems Engineering methods.

E.g. Formal methods are being introduced (after most car manufacturers got hit by safety issues and serious reliability issues).

There is the IEC61508 safety standard. Traceability there is the key word. And the use of MISRA rules when using C (which is almost unavoidable). 128 rules to follow, mainly concerned about what to do not when programming in C (it's clearly not a safe programming language).

There's also SCADE-DRIVE. Graphical programming with formal proof checkers in the background, generating C. But restricted to static scheduling.

SPARK also. A subset of ADA with assertions at the source code level. Generates C.

Occam would definitely be an alternative if there was a back-end compiler for the micro's people are using. (no Pentium class power suckers!).

Other interesting technology would be SpaceWire (already in use by ESA, ex-T9000 link engine with LVDS), rather than CAN-bus, FlexRay and TTP.

If I could start from scratch, I would definitely do things differently in automotive, but we are already happy if we can apply more rigor in the development process.

Best regards,

Eric Verhulst

Eric.Verhulst@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
   Skype me at: ericverhulstskype
   Mob. +32 477 608339
   Systematic Systems Development Methodologies
   Trustworthy Embedded Components

http://www.OpenLicenseSociety.org
" "Concept" is a vague concept", L. Wittgenstein