Re: Flow based programming

Tom plus occam folk

After only a quick look...
Is this not Data-Flow Programming, which sported a number of visual languages in the 80s? A spin-off from the Functional Programming community.

I found that paradigm very interesting back in the 90s after picking up a book in a second-hand store, and finding a free DFP Visual Language package on the net. I too wondered about the relation between DFP and CSP/occam. I ended up exchanging procedure for protocol - there's supposedly a law that says anything you can express as a procedure can be expressed as a protocol, but have never tracked down anything formal.

This does also relate to the question of exactly what a component- wise compositional language should look like. Like DFP (and CSP) it should surely have its roots in a functional notation.

Formal component-compositionality should be a major objective for the reasons you state. One of the reasons given by a reviewer for rejecting a grant application last year was that they didn't believe we could get that one nailed. Doubt it's easy, but anything's better than Java Classes...

Ian