RE: ComsTime

The results in my previous email about CTC++ below were measured under
Windows 98. Now, there is a mistake in these results. The interrupt enable
(sti) and interrupt disable (cli) instructions are very expensive under
Windows. In protected-mode the i386 throws exceptions when it tries to
execute these instructions. Somehow Windows catches these exceptions in
protected-mode and then Windows switch between protected-mode and real-mode
(and back) to perform these instructions anyway. This switching takes a lot
of time.

Thus, I ran comstime under MS-DOS and the results are much better

- 7.6 us/cycle (with 5 switches per cycle)
- 1.9 us/context-switch

Another remark: The 1.9 us/context-switch time is not exactly one
context-switch. This value represents the performance of the channel
(synchronization, queuing and context-switching). This value is much more
interesting than the bare context-switch time. The real context-switch is
about 270 nsec on a Pentium 200 MHz (with saving and restoring entire
context).

Gerald.