Re: Priority revisited: a new primitive

Barry said...
>My difficulty is that I'm not sure priority is the right concept. My
>thought-experiment example is that I'm not so much concerned that I can
>check whether shutting down a nuclear reactor gets priority over
>game-playing, but that I can do it within 30seconds.
>
>Therefore I would like the specification to include what is really important
>(very often a response time [important for games, too]) - and I would leave
>priority as a mechanism the compiler/system could employ, if appropriate.
I actually take the other view. IMHO it's PRIORITY that's fundamental.
Real time I regard as an implementation issue. Prioritization can yield
the best that can be done, leaving the dev tools to let you know how long
things take on any specific platform etc.

Partly, this is political, and reflects my loathing of deadlines, which
to me seem a marvellous way of passing the blame downwards and evading
responsibility at higher levels. But maybe that's just my inate inability
to accept authority...

Ian

Dr. Ian Robert East
01865 483635
Room T656, Tonge Building
School of Computing and Mathematical Sciences
Oxford Brookes University

2000/2001 Term 1 Consultation hours:
Tuesday   11.00..12.00; 12.00..13.00
Friday    10.00..11.00; 12.00..13.00