RE: It was a stressing weekend!

Oyvind,

Lea' book discusses patterns, but many patterns are not really design
patterns. Instead, I read them as techniques or implementation patterns for
Java. Lea's book does not always make clear when patterns should be used in
design. However, it is a good book but you do not learn to design (and
implement) reliable software.
We learn from occam to design our programs in terms of communication and
compositions of processes. Many people think that communication and
compositions of code (threads) can be done in many ways, so, why should we
learn occam? I think that those people think that CSP is married with occam.
No, JCSP and CTJ prove that the CSP concept can marry with any
"object-oriented" programming language, such as Java. CSP is a way of
thinking, a way of designing, and a way of implementing. Also, the CSP
concept does not conflict with traditional programming. It is not one or the
other. The Java community should learn about compositional programming --
i.e. learning the CSP concept. For example, we need a book with the title
"Compositional Programming" and subtitle "Reliable and real-time software in
Java". The term CSP should be mentioned at the introduction and not in the
title. This book should teach us when and how to use patterns of channels
and processes. This book should be published by Sun Press next to Lea's
book.

The NCIST organisation and Sun are developing Real-Time Java. But JCSP/CTJ
is Real-Time Java. They don't see the benefits of JCSP/CTJ (i.e. the CSP
concept) because they don't get enough information from us. They are
reinventing the real-time wheel for Java. I belief that Real-Time Java by
NCIST and Sun will result in an operating system API for skilled programmers
and not for the ordinary Java programmer (such as control engineers).
JCSP/CTJ is created for the ordinary Java programmer. Can we participate in
Real-Time Java?

Cheers,
Gerald.