Re[2]: Too good to be true: Re: Asynchronous Exceptions in J

Ian Page wrote:

>My guess is that this timing model is too tight for most of the systems that
>you are interested in, but I think the basic observation is just as true for
>you as it is for me: without the ability to express, reason about and control
>the temporal behaviour of programs, you simply cannot expect to build
>real-time systems routinely.

Right On!

This consideration is showing up in some areas that involve parallel
processing, the MPI/RT standard effort for example. I'm afraid, though,
that we are a long way from a generally useful methodology built on a
rigorous foundation. Can anyone offer some much-needed "magic" in this
area?

Jim

James Wolffe
Sr Member Technical Staff