Final call for participation Parallel Programming and Java conference 13-16 April '97

For your convenience print this text with 'New Courier 10' font.

             | PARALLEL PROGRAMMING AND JAVA CONFERENCE |
             |           13-16, April, 1997             |
             |  University of Twente, the Netherlands   |

AIMS:
=====

This conference is aimed at persons that use object based programming
languages (such as Java or occam) to design multi-threaded applications.
These applications range from simple Java applets through to
internet/intranet client-server systems, embedded systems and general
parallel and distributed multiprocessing.

With its tutorial programme, the conference is also aimed at everyone
responsible for teaching in the above areas.  With the growing number
of Universities switching to Java as their prime language for imperative
programming, this meeting is especially timely.

TUTORIAL PROGRAMME (Sunday, 13th. April, 1997):

The three tutorials run consecutively, starting at 10:00 and aiming to
finish around 17:00.

                  ------------------------------------

Title: Java Threads in the light of occam/CSP
Presenter: Professor Peter Welch, University of Kent

Abstract:  Java provides support for parallel computing through a model that
is built into the language itself.  However, the designers of Java chose to
be fairly conservative and settled for the concepts of threads and monitors.
Monitors were developed by Tony Hoare in the early 1970s as a structured way
of using semaphores to control access to shared resources.  Hoare moved away
from this, in the late 1970s, to develop the theory of Communicating
Sequential Processes (CSP).  One reason for this was that the semantics of
monitors and threads are not WYSIWIG, so that designing robust parallel
algorithms at this level is seriously hard.  This tutorial will look at how
this impacts on threaded applications written in Java.

Fortunately, it is possible to introduce the CSP model into Java
through sets of classes implemented on top of its monitor support.
By restricting interaction between active Java objects to CSP
synchronisation primitives, Java thread semantics become compositional and
systems with arbitrary levels of complexity become possible. Multi-threaded
Web applets and distributed applications become simpler to design and
implement, race hazards never occur, difficulties such as starvation,
deadlock and livelock are easier to confront and overcome; and performance
is no worse than that obtained from directly using the raw monitor primitives.

The advantages of teaching parallelism in Java purely through the CSP
class libraries will be discussed.  (These libraries were developed
jointly at Kent and Oxford Universities in the U.K. and the University of
Twente in the Netherlands.)

                  ------------------------------------

Title: Communicating Java Threads -- the Reference Manual
Presenter: Ir. Gerald H. Hilderink, University of Twente

Abstract: this manual describes the use of channels and composition
constructs for communicating threads in the programming language Java. We
assume the reader of this manual is an experienced Java programmer. The code
of which the interface is described in this manual is entirely written in
Java.  We see Java as a clear programming language so that the channel and
composition constructs, as described in this reference manual, can be ported
to other object-oriented languages, such as C++ or Smalltalk.

Channels are very close to the scheduler, in fact they may be part of
the scheduler.  Using channels allows scheduling on communication within the
program and without any explicit command from the programmer. Scheduling
based on communication results in a very fast non-preemptive scheduling
algorithm that is faster than pre-emptive scheduling to ensure fair
scheduling.  The program will get better real-time characteristics and the
scheduler of the Java Virtual Machine can be tuned for better performance
for embedded systems.

Composition constructs provide a more easy way to build robust and
better-structured concurrent programs.  In chapter 2 the channel
interface is described and in chapter 4 the use of the channel is
described by three composition (communication) constructs: (1) the
sequential communication construct, (2) the parallel communication
construct, and (3) the alternative communication constructs.  Chapter 5
describes several examples in terms of building blocks that illustrate the
use of channels and composition constructs and by which simple concurrent
programs can be built.

                  ------------------------------------

Title: How to Design Deadlock-Free Networks Using CSP and Verification Tools
Presenter: Dr. Jeremy M. R. Martin and Sabeh A. Jassim, Universities of
Oxford and Buckingham

Abstract: the CSP language of C.A.R. Hoare originated as a blackboard
mathematical notation for specifying and reasoning about parallel and
distributed systems.  More recently sophisticated tools have emerged
which provide automated verification of CSP-specified systems.  This has led
to a tightening and standardisation of syntax.  This paper outlines the
syntax and semantics of CSP as it is now used and then describes how to
design CSP networks, which are guaranteed to be free of deadlock, through a
succession of increasingly complex worked examples, making use of the
verification tool Deadlock Checker.

ACCEPTED PAPERS (Monday-Wednesday, 14-16th. April, 1997):

Title: Higher-Order Concurrency in Java