Re: Alan Kay on the meaning of "object oriented"

> He said that "Simula said that data-structures and procedures are bad
> ideas". This was fantastic! he said. One wanted objects which themselves
> knew what to do. The basic idea of OOP is "wrap it up and make an API out
> of it".

Hi Oyvind,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't an object a data structure in disguise,
and a method a procedure call in disguise? And isn't an API a procedure
library? I don't know Simula, but all the OO stuff I have ever seen just
seems to be data structures and related procedure/function libraries, plus
long lists of restrictions on their use and relatedness trees among the
structures based on shaky metaphor.

Larry Dickson